Tuesday, March 10, 2015

#bridebrain

I know I've been the WORST and not kept up with this blog at all, but that's about to change starting right now!

Ned and I got engaged this past Christmas Eve.  We have always planned to elope for our wedding.  I'll go into specifics another time, but suffice it to say that our wedding will be completely non-traditional.  It will be outdoors in a place where I can't exactly have my hair blown out and makeup done for me.  The one and only detail that is important to me is to wear a white dress that makes me feel beautiful.  I hadn't really thought much about the dress until a couple of days ago when I told one of my favorite customers (at the knitting shop where I work) that I was engaged, and she asked me if I was making anything for the wedding.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since!

In general I'm not a fan of knitted wedding gowns, at least not just for the sake of being knitted wedding gowns.  For me to knit my wedding dress, there must be a good reason why it would be knitted and not store bought, not woven material, etc.  I woudn't want to emulate a gown that could be bought.  However.  I am getting married in the last days of August, amongst a lot of hiking, camping, and canoeing with my love.  I need my dress to be light, loose, casual, flowy, comfortable, and fit for a goddess of the outdoors.  Not too hippie-ish, but somewhat.  Does that give you a good mental picture?

So today I was back at work and talking with my co-worker Karin, as we often do on slow days, about our current and potential projects.  I have been a finishing queen lately and feeling very justified in starting a new project.  Really, it's the best feeling in the world.  So I was obviously very excited and showed her the Rowan Pure Linen that I thought might be perfect for this dress.  She immediately shared my vision and said all the right things ("think about how much money you're SAVING by knitting this dress.") and so now I am totally committed.  Not only was she excited for my project, but she actually ended up buying some of the yarn in another color to knit a top from Rowan's Pure Linen Collection.  It's a Pure Linen knit-a-long!

The crunchiest, most perfect white linen.

No comments:

Post a Comment