Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Swatching Process

     Over the past few days I think I've nailed down the basic plan for my wedding dress!  I am knitting a sideways band for a wide neckline which will show some neck and shoulder skin, and the rest of the dress will be wide and flowy from there down.  I'm already pretty settled on the stitch patterns, too! For the neckband I will use a smocking stitch...


...and from there down it will be stockinette fading into some simple clusters of eyelets, starting with just a few and then more and more around the bottom of the dress.

     The next step is to figure out exactly how wide it will need to be for the look I'm going for.  I did a stockinette swatch in the round (since that part of the dress will be knit in the round, it's important to ensure my tension will be consistent) and found that I'm getting between 4-4.25 sts/inch.  So I'm starting by casting on for a little over 40 inches (six-plus inches of ease, which may or may not be enough).  Since I don't know what my eventual pattern repeat will be for the lacy section, I wanted to keep it flexible by choosing a number, in the range of 40", that was divisible by many other numbers. 168 is divisible by 3, 4, 7, 12, 24, and many more, so I am starting there.

     If this seems to be the right width, my next step will be to knit through one full ball in order to predict how many it will take to get my full length.  Here's hoping 168 is the magic number!

No comments:

Post a Comment